sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My 2004 Chrysler Sebring has little or no heat at idle, even

My 2004 Chrysler Sebring has little or no heat at idle, even after the engine is operating at normal temperature. Upon acceleration, the heater temp is normal.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. There is air in your cooling system. Remove the radiator cap (engine cold) and top off the coolant. Start the engine and let it run with the cap off. Be careful of steam, hot coolant, etc. Where the top radiator hose meets the engine there will be a bleeder screw close by. It looks like a brake bleeder screw. Open this and leave it open until a steady stream of coolant comes out. You'll want to do this periodically. Run the car this way until it is full hot, opening the bleeder periodically. You'll need to raise the engine rpms a few times to get all the air out. When you no longer get any air out, top off the coolant and cap it, and the heater should be working.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Thanks for the quick response. For what it's worth, or if it makes a difference in your diagnosis, the cooling system has never been serviced at 67,000 miles. How does air enter the system if it has not been opened?</p><p>thanks,</p><p>John</p>
It may have a minor leak somewhere. the system will also constantly lose small amounts of coolant just due to steam loss. When the radiator cap opens when the engine gets hot it opens to the overflow side of the coolant bottle. This is open to the atmostphere, and there is a normal amount of evaporation. This air ingestion has been a bit common on the JR body cars like yours, along with the LH body cars (LHS, Concorde, 300m, Intrepid). They use the same cooling system setup and the same bottle and bleeder system. Its not uncommon to have this problem with no leak.