sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

97 cirrus: the rotor, cap, wires, plugs..tranny..torque converter

My 97 cirrus started stalling at low speeds (like when pulling up to a stop sign) I have replaced the rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and had the tranny checked and the preasure in the torque converter seems fine. It is still stalling.
Hi. Does it feel like it would with a manual transmission if you forgot to push in the clutch? Does it just die when you let off the throttle, or while you are driving too? Does your engine light ever come on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I thought the torque converter might be stalling it but AAMCO checked it out with a preasure gage and it did what it was supposed to. The check engin light does not come on and no codes showed up when Ammco cheked on tuesday.

It only dies when I take my foot of the throtle. I can keep it running if I use one foot on the break and one on the gas and then after sitting still for a couple of min. it will idel on its own. The only other thing I have noticed is sometimes when it is stalling my radio will buzz at the same time

Ok. It sounds like you may just have a problem with your idle air control motor. this is a stepper motor on the throttle body that lets air in at idle when the throttle blade is closed. When it gets carboned up it has a hard time moving, and when it gets older it wears and has a hard time moving. I would start by pulling it out and cleaning it and its bore with carb cleaner. If that does not help, you may need to replace it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will take a look at it tonight. I will get back to you tomorrow.

thanks

Hi. I see you were still having problems with the car? Is it any different, exaclty the same?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

it is slightly better. did you see the detailed description of how it is acting now? it may have gone in as a new question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK IT SEEMS LIKE THE IAC MOTOR IS SEARCHING FOR THE RPMS. IT WILL REV TO 1500 THEN DROP TO 3-400 AND BACK UP AND DOWN AND THEN SETTEL ON ABOUT 650 RPM AND RUN ROUGH. IT WILL DO THIS AT START UP EVEN AFTER SITTING ALL NIGHT IF IT DIES AND I COAST TO A STOP AND JUST TURN OFF THE KEY. BUT IF I LET IF FIND IDEL ON ITS OWN BEFOR SHUTTING IT OFF .... WHEN I START IT NEXT TIME IT RUNS REAL SMOOTH UNTIL i DRIVE FOR A BIT A THE SLOW DOWN FOR A TURN OR STOP. AND IT RUNS GREAT ONCE THE RPMS GO ABOVE 2K.
Do the rpms fluctuate if you leave the car running in neutral too? Have you checked for codes again recently?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes the rpms fluctuate except when I first start it after sitting long enough to cool 4 hrs or more. Then when I start it it just idels normally. I have not checked codes since I took it to AAMCO last week.
Ok. Do you have a voltmeter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES
We need to check the tps voltage while it is acting up. Put the ground lead of your voltmeter on chassis ground, the positive lead on the orange and dark blue wire. If you don't touch the throttle the voltage you see on the meter should not change. If you see the voltage on the meter go up at the same time the idle goes up then you know the tps is bad. Do this and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will give it a try but i just did the test in the book for checking the resistance in the tps and out put voltage. Both were in the range that the book said they should be and the resitance went up smoothly when opening the throtle.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
also you asked about the codes. I took it into a different AAMCO today and they said a code came up for the speed control switch or solenoide. Would this be the same as the vehicle speed control servo located on the tranny? Could this cause my problem? Also the only other component in the electricle diagram I cannot find anything on is " IAT sensor" what is this?
the speed control servo is for the cruise control. It has a cable that runs to the throttle body to open the blade. You might remove the cable from the throttle body to see if it is actually affecting this. the servo has nothing to do with the trans though. The IAT sensor is intake air temp. It is mounted on the passenger side of the intake on a 2.5, on the intake on a 2.0, and its actually inside the MAP sensor on a 2.4 engine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yea I googeled IAT and found out what it ment Thanks. I just undid the speed control cable and drove it and it got worse. I did check the voltage on the tps and when it is ideling the voltage stays at .815 if I move the throtle by hand it went up to about 1.0 but once it starts it stops flucuating before I can get out to read it. When I moved the throtle by hand and let it back closed it did fluctuate a little but the voltage went back to a steady .815 pretty quick.
Ok. Pull the connector, check the black/light blue for ground, also check to make sure there is almost no voltage on that wire. The third wire in the connector should be 5v, check this too. (key on) Plug it back in, engine off, open the throttle all the way up and see what the voltage is. Let me know what you get for all of these things. I've got to get offline now, got to get up for work in 6 hours. I'll look for your response tomorrow.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ok the blk/light blue is at .014 v and stays there when I open throtle.

the third wire is at 5.01v and stays there when i open throtle.

the middle wire is at .782v and goes to 3.835v when throtle is open.

Ok. That sounds decent. Leave your meter on the signal wire and get the car to act up. See if the voltage changes when the idling is fluctuating. If you aren't touching the throttle the voltage should not move.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, I went away for the rest of the week. I will try this tonight.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Sprinkles, I replaced the TPS and there was no change in the problem. I have noticed that when I have to just stop once in a while I can rev the engin up to 2500 a couple of times and then it will idel. If I am in stop and go trafic the problem gets progresivly worse after each time I move up until reving the motor in nutral does not help then after it dies and I restart it it is better. ???????????? This is really frustrating. Any new sugestions?

You might check into the egr. If the valve is sticking open it will give you some problems at lower engine speeds. There are a couple things you could do. You could feel the tube from the valve to the intake at idle. If the tube is hot at idle the valve is stuck open. You could also make a temporary blockoff gasket for the tube to make sure flow is blocked.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thanks I will give it a try.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi, I just got back from a test drive after I made a blind gasket to block the EGR tube. THE CAR RUNS PERRRRFECT!!!:)

Now what to do. I assume I cannot keep running it with the egr blocked. Can I clean it? I will check the vacume lines but they want $115.00 for one at the parts store and I am a bit short this month.

What do you sujest?

Pull the valve off and clean it out. Use carb cleaner and let is soak get everything out that you can. If that doesn't work you'll need to replace it. I don't really think you'll find a better price on a valve than what you have, that's about the going price. At least now you know what the problem is even if you can't afford to fix it until after the holidays.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can I drive the car for a week or two with the EGR tube blocked?

Because of the heat I wouldn't do it with cardboard for sure. Maybe a metal blockoff gasket of some sort. You may lose a bit of fuel mileage. It is technically an emissions item, so I can't recommend disabling it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had some make your own gasket material here so I made one with just the bolt holes in it. My concern was that my manual says the egr controls the heat in the cylinders or is it the crank case. Anyway I dont want to do more damage by leavinig it blocked until I can fix it. i am going to take it off and clean it tonoght. (right now) I need to know how to send you something x-tra $ for sticking with me on this.

The egr valve does lower temperatures in the combustion chamber. The lack of oxygen in the exhaust from having the valve circulate exhaust cools combustion, lowers temperatures, and saves a little bit of fuel.

You can send a bonus if you want but don't feel a bit obligated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I cleaned it and the car runs 90% better....it does not die on me but the rpms drop to about 750 rpm and then levels out. If it stays this good until march I will get caught up from my plant closing for two weeks at Christmass and I will put in the new EGR.

I had taken the car to 3 different shops and YOU were the one who figuerd it out. I am so happy I dont have the words to express how gratefull I am. I will say a prayer for you and yours tonight. I will send you something too.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Gregg, San Jose, Ca.