Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 06 Chevy Malibu LS (2.2 L) is blowing warm air when the

Customer Question

My 06 Chevy Malibu LS (2.2 L) is blowing warm air when the ac is on regardless of whether I'm driving fast or at a standstill. The charge for the refrigerant reads fine when I read it on the low side with the low side gauge that comes with the can of AC pro refrigerant from Walmart. Maybe even a little high, but not in the red. The compressor clutch does run with the AC on. What might this be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

any acces to a seat of AC gauges to read high and low side ?

what is the low side reading on the little gauge of the recharge gauge with the compressor on and running ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I unfortunately don't have the gauges to read the high and low sides on hand. It was reading a little over 50 with it being 74 degrees out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That was the low side reading.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

on the low it was reading 50 ?

with the car OFF what does it read then when you start it up and turn the ac ON will it still stay at 50 ?

50 psi is way too high for this system

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Reading 60 with car off. Goes back to 50 or slightly over 50 with car on again and compressor clutch turning.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To be clear, I have not added any refrigerant, nor have I asked anyone to do so ever.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are the fans supposed to always run when AC is on?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Two big radiator fans not running when I turn on AC. Car coolant temp at about 150 degrees. Are the radiator fans also the ac fans?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

the fan will only run when the high side hots over 200 PSI

the problem you have is when you turn on the ac the compressor should drop the low to 28 psi range

when its not either the ac system is filled with air and low of refrigerent due to a leak which a good evac and recharge should correct or the compressor is bad itself

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are the radiator fans also the AC fans?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

yes they are

and will not turn on until the temp is high or the high pressure gets above 200 ish PSI