Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Was driving along, everything fine and all of a sudden as

Was driving along, everything fine and all of a sudden as though I put in neutral. No noise or anything as I stated, driving fine, next thing, nothing. No gears forward or reverse. also you can now hear a humming sound. It sound like a power stering
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 150K No leaks, I meant to type it sounds like a noise that a power steering pump would make if it was going bad
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Suburban
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's at a shop Just wondering what the problem may be. They won't be able to check it for a day or two
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello. My name I Todd and I will be assisting you today. Have you checked the fluid level? If the fluid level is good, then the torque converter or the transmission pump has likely gone bad and will have to be replaced. The suggestion, if this is the case, will have to be to replace/rebuild the transmission. My I have your engine size, please?

I'm guessing 5.3 non-flex.

Your issue, will likely be 1 on the case diagram or the pump assembly.

Depending on the type of transmission, the labor hours will be between 12.7 and 14.7 hours, this includes rebuilding the transmission.

If you require more information and/or are not satisfied, then let me know, please, and i will continue to try to help you. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to asks. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Todd. I was out all day. But the trans pump appears to be fine. Checked fluid level before and after starting. there was positive draw down on the stick when started. As I said, there was no clunking or sound of gears shearing trans fluid is clean no burnt smell. Just driving one moment, coasting the next.

I understand. Your issue may also be a failed valve body, but I am kind of leaning towards the converter or the pump. Ultimately, you will have to have the transmission checked. Thank you for the rating.