Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I replaced the key fob on my 2013 Chevy spark & now the car

I replaced the key fob on my 2013 Chevy spark & now the car will not turn over. Put the old key back together & still nothing.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yep doors lock & unlock fine.
JA: What is the model of your '13 Chevy?
Customer: spark lt.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I've tried the new keys & the original keys. Somehow the transponder in the key is appearantly not working.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about it. Thanks

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Hopefully my assistance will be appreciated being the fees here are much less than dealerships.

I am sorry you have been waiting way to long on me or anyone else to try and help. I believe I can help on this concern if help is still needed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I still need help.

Great,

With the key in the run position what is the theft light doing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It stays on solid.

SO before it would start fine but the fob portion of the key did not work?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it started fine. The keys on the fob were falling apart. I changed the fob cases over with new ones. Now the door locks work fine, the key turns the ignition on but will not turn the starter over.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Was thinking maybe I need to have the dealership reprogram the key. Idk.

I believe during this repair the encrypted code transponder was damaged and now the vehicle is not recognizing the key code. Unfortunately this means a dealer equivalent tool is needed for programming and likely 2 replacement keys as well.

You should see a rating box on your screen. I strive to provide 5 STAR EXCELLENT answer(s) and hope you rate me the same now or later. If you're not pleased yet. Follow up so I can help more before you rate. Please understand I am here 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week, but I am not here all day. I try my best to minimize your wait time. Rating will keep a post open rather than it timing out in 7 days.

Thanks Moose