Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

The ac compressor will not engage and randomly the front

Customer Question

the ac compressor will not engage and randomly the front heat stops.all the lights on panel light when heat stops. if you shut truck off and crank it heater resets
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: fresh/recircle and now rear defrost light
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 suburban lt
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced ac control panel on dash. and traced wire from dash to compressor and jumping relay to test ac everything checks the scan tool says no ac command and no codes found on heat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: think that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Test the voltage and ground signals into the heater/ac control on the dash.If there is a loss of power or ground this can cause this fault here and this will need repaired to resolve this issue here.I have seen components like the electronic ignition switch itself cause an issue like this here needing replaced if it is sending low voltage to the heater controller.I have also seen a loose or corroded ground cause this issue as well here.If this is or was tested and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete