Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Van will randomly shut down, and will restart sometimes

Van will randomly shut down, and will restart sometimes after an hour or more.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Is the check engine light on or does it ever come on? Thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Dan, thank you for helpingWell the van origianlly stumbled 2 days ago while on the freeway at 65 mph, then died at the stop light. We were able to restart it that time, to get it to a parking lot. It would not restart for over 30 minutes, then started but putting it in gear would make it shut down again. Had it towed home but after trying over and over for another hour it started idled for a few, minutes then was fine the whole next day. Today once again stopped at a store and died when we stopped in the parking space. Though we hit plenty of lights etc for a day and a half. We did get it to start today, after 1.5 hours, pulled it around the store, went forward and back a few times, and again died. Now will not restart.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The check engine has never came on, sorry never answered your question..

This is a common symptom of a failing fuel pump. They will work when cold and then cause a stall when warmed up but restart once cooled down without turning on check engine light. A quick test is to see if it runs on starting fluid next time it won't start, if it starts this verifies problem is fuel related and you will want to replace the pump. This will be around a $400 job at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if you would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
tried starting fluid, still woudnt go

That would mean no spark which is most likely caused by failing ignition module or ignition switch. Next time problem happens check to see if pink wire going to ignition module has good power while trying to start, if not replace ignition switch. If it has good power then I would replace ignition module. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also, when we are able to get it started after trying for 30 mins to an hour the exhuast smells very rich.

That would also fit the no spark symptom, while trying to start you are flooding engine. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did check for spark when it originally did not start. Checked it on one plug wire. There was spark but it seemed very slow, 1 or 2 sparks per second. A long time ago i remembe doing the same thing with a smaller vehicle and the spark seemed very very fast. This van either is that slow spark on crank, or was slower then should be , but I wouldnt know if that is normal

If it won't start on starting fluid then that verifies a spark problem. Only other thing that would cause a no start is loss of compression but no reason that would be intermittent. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will check the module right away, and let you know what I find out. Am I simply looking for 12 volts. ?

That is correct, it should have at least 11v while trying to start. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would the ignition control module cause a slow spark?

Yes it could, so could the crankshaft position sensor but without capable scantool to monitor crank sensor it will be hard to tell.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We did have power at the pink wire of the igntion control module. Is there a way to test anything on the crankshaft position sensor, before paying for a module if that isnt it?

You would need to use a scantool to monitor signal or try to use a multimeter to monitor signal and compare to when it does start. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Dan, We got a fresh bottle of starter fluid, and it will run as long as we are spraying fluid in the air intake, So your theory of a pump is the direction we are trying now.

Good to hear, let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
anything to watch out for as far as dropping the tank. We disconnected the filter and the filler neck

No, it is pretty straight forward. Worst case there may be a couple rusty bolts but still shouldn't cause too much of a issue. .