Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I pulled the factory radio and now the truck won't turn over

Customer Question

I pulled the factory radio and now the truck won't turn over or anything
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: It is the radio that came with the truck. I was getting ready to put in an aftermarket radio but had to make a quick trip so I just put the old radio back in but now the truck won't start
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 tahoe
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, leaving the key in the ignition for a while, locking and unlocking it with the key, I pulled the radio back out to check for loose wireso but I didn't find any.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name Dan. Thank you for using just answer. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Thanks

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Does the engine turn over? Does it click when the key is in the start position?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine does not turn over and there is no starter click.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Disconnect both battery cables (negative first then positive) and hold them together, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Reconnect battery cables one at a time, positive first then negative

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It still won't start. Now the security light is blinking. I went through this process and still no progress.
1.) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.2.) Observer that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.3.) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'OFF' position).4.) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for at least 11 minutes.5.) Turn key to 'OFF' position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.6.) Repeat steps 1-5 for 3 cycles.7.) On 4th attempt, your car should now start.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You need a tech2 or similar capability scan tool to get codes out of the immobilizer and pcm. I would also scan all modules. You need codes to be able to diagnose the problem.

Check for voltage at the small wire on the starter with the key in start position.

Here is a wiring diagram for the starting circuit. Try jumping the starter solenoid, with key in run position, does the engine turn over?

h

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please only Rate 5 stars. If you feel you need to rate less than that let me know so I can help more.

Thank you.

ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/do489vci4fc8ep0/tahoe.svg?dl=0

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Also check all fuses in the wiring diagram that I sent to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Turns out the starter went bad. I replaced it tonight and it's all good to go.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Glad you were able to get it fixed. Kindly Rate so I can get credit for my time. I really appreciate 5 star ratings.

Thank you. Please request me in the future for all you auto repair questions.