Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Story. Here is the readers digest version. Ignition cylinder

Customer Question

Long story. Here is the readers digest version. Ignition cylinder lock failed. Couldn't turn the key. Couldn't get out of park. I drilled out the cylinder. The hard way. New cylinder. Truck started, wouldn't get out of park and wouldn't turn off. Had to pull spark plug wires to stop engine. Brake lights work. Replaced ignition switch housing (or case). There is a cable that plugs into the bottom back of the housing that has something to do with preventing you from turning off the ignition with the vehicle in park. If it is in the new housing, the cylinder won't turn like it should. With it out the vehicle won't get out of park. I'm out of intelligent questions to ask. I don't know what the cable is called or where it goes. It disappears into the dashboard and I loose it Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gas Automatic. 4WD
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: no haven't checked it... Don't remember when it was changed. The brake switch engages and the brake lights come on and the pedal operates as it should going to the floor with the right amount of pressure
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: just checked the fluid level. it is ok 2002 Chevy silverado 2500HD 6.0L gas automatic transmission
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've replaced the ignition housing and the cylinder. I don't know what the cable is called or where it goes to chase it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just occurred to me. When this happened I was at a tire store. I had to have the truck towed in. Tow truck driver disengaged the linkage underneath the truck on the tranny. I hooked it back up when we got it home. Today I disengaged the linkage and was able to shift easily by hand, but the shifter on the column still would not move even when disconnected from the linkage. My helper (read daughter) sitting in the drivers seat could feel me pulling on the shifter cable from underneath once I disconnected the linkage.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If a phone call takes longer than an email response, email or posting here will be just fine. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to check here is to see if you have brake lights when pressing on the brake pedal with the key on or engine running.If you have no brake lights this can cause this issue as the brake switch can fail and will prevent shifting like this here.If you have brake lights let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Really? I stated in the initial statement that the brake lights work. And I also answered this to the Assistant when asked if my brake fluid level was good. So once again. I can hear the brake switch engage. The brake lights do work. The problem isn't the brake light switch.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as well as apologize that I didnt see the comments on the brake lights already working here.

Was this cable damaged in any way and does it appear to be installed correctly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What cable? There are dozens of cables in the steering column....
Lets try this again.
I have replaced the ignition lock cylinder. After doing this the vehicle would start but would not turn off and also would not shift out of park. So I naturally assumed I damaged the Ignition cylinder housing. I pulled the steering wheel and replaced the ignition cylinder housing. The cable that goes into the back of the cylinder housing (i don't know what it is called) was (and still is) preventing the cylinder from operating properly. From my research all I can figure out is that cable is what prevents the key from being removed unless the vehicle is in park. I cannot get the truck to start with the cable properly inserted. I does not have any physical damage to the cable and it appears to function. Not knowing what the cable is called I can't do more research to find out if it works correctly. Without the cable installed the vehicle starts, stops, but will not get out of park. The Steering Wheel is currently off. I've read something about a interlock shift solenoid (called several different things I've found) but I have no idea where this is located at. I need to get this back up and running so I can get back to work.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I apologize as the shift interlock cable is the one I was speaking of here.

Here is the description of this:

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System
The automatic transmission shift lock control is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the ignition is ON. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:
^ The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid.
^ The automatic transmission shift lock control switch.
^ The park/neutral position switch.
With the ignition in the ON position, battery positive voltage is supplied to the park/neutral position switch. When the transmission is in the PARK position the contacts in the park/neutral position switch are closed. This allows current to flow through the switch to the automatic transmission shift lock control switch. The circuit continues through the normally-closed switch to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid. The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded. This energizes the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid, locking the shift linkage in the PARK position. When the driver presses the brake pedal the contacts in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch open, causing the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid to release. This allows the shift lever to move from the PARK position.

Here is the inspection/replacement procedure.Make sure this solenoid/actuator is plugged in as well as the cable to it is not damaged.If this is o.k. and since the ignition is working,you have brake lights and the cylinder was replaced this can indicate this solenoid/actuator needs replaced.Make sure all components are installed correctly with no damage.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzuom1n8mag7h3d/ac-01-11.gif?dl=0

1. Disable the SIR system.
2. Remove the body control module bracket.
3. Put the shift lever clevis into the neutral position.
4. Disconnect the electrical connector.
5. Use a small screwdriver to pry the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator away from the steering column jacket assembly and the cable shift cam assembly.
6. Remove the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator.

Installation Procedure

1. Firmly install the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator onto the steering column jacket assembly and the cable shift cam assembly.
2. Connect the electrical connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp5oleyei55qoum/act-01-11.gif?dl=0

3. Adjust the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator (with the shift lever clevis in the neutral position) in the following way:
3.1. Pull out the tab (1) on the adjuster block side (2) of the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator.
3.2. Press on the adjuster block (2) to compress the internal adjuster spring, which disengages the adjuster teeth. Slide the adjuster block (2) as far away from the actuator as possible.
3.3.ock the adjuster block (2) in place by pushing in on the tab (1).
4. Inspect the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator for the following items:
4.1. The automatic transmission shift lock control actuator must lock the shift lever clevis when the shift lever clevis is put into the park position.
4.2. Depress the brake pedal to move the shift lever out of the park position.
4.3. The actuator will be energized.
4.4. Readjust the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator if needed.
5. Install the body control module bracket.
6. Enable the SIR system.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the cable that plugs into the back of the housing. It can only be installed with the cylinder in the "off" position. and prevents the key from being removed unless the key is in park?
Where are
The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid.
^ The park/neutral position switch.
located at?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My info isnt showing me the pictures of these here but I believe this cable connects to the actuator I posted above.The actuator is located on the side of the steering column.The cable from the housing should lead to this here on the column.This actuator is the solenoid itself.The park neutral switch is located on the side of the transmission,drivers side.This cable leads up to the shifter lever linkage.

The cable in the back of the housing is the shift lock control cable.