GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

At 2001 Chevy impala periodically will not start wait 15

Customer Question

At 2001 Chevy impala periodically will not start wait 15 minutes car starts right up sometimes if you put it in neutral and back it up a few feet it will start the security light well sometimes come on while driving the car
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: The security light stays on for a few minutes solid and then Goes off have not tried to reset it he's system
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried to fix the car price myself and I will take it to a dealer the problem is most the time the car works perfect so you can't read the computer it does happen often enough you just can't depend on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It just seems like the car doesn't know it's in park when you take it out of park and move it a little bit it will start sometimes it will always start after waiting 15 minutes
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 months ago.

This problem sounds like the security sensor in the ignition switch is going bad. When t will not start, have you tried to start it with the shifter in neutral?