mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My Durmax will not start without either, cold or hot. I know

Customer Question

My Durmax will not start without either, cold or hot. I know it is a fuel system leak but I can't find it. Fuel filter primer pumps up tight. Ideas?
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: No I can not find a leak anywhere.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 3500 silverado
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced fuel filter and o rings
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We had mouse damage in the fuse box but it was fixed and ran fine before this started to happen Runs fine, once started, no codes.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.

you said it will not start with starting fluid?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It needs some prime in the engine. Hot or cold, I use starting fluid

the pressure and prime is regulated by the in tank fuel pump on these. if you have no visible leak then you are loosing prime from the in tank pump. and of course with diesels a loss of prime kills its abiity to start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok you really know nothing, their is no fuel tank pump on a diesel.

ok yes there is tave two pumps a lit pump that pulls he fuel from the tank and a high pressure pump or the nozzles.... if you wish to insult people who are trying to help you then do it else where... also starting fluid or either can blow your rings out on a diesel so have fun with that. it is to flammable for diesel engine and may no damage it immediately but over time will cause irreversible damage. a safer way to do a loss of prime start is with a gasoline soaked rag on the air filter the engine can run off the fumes for substantial amount of time. I managed a flee of tow trucks that had much larger diesel engines these however did not have an intank lift pump it was on the engine. but all diesels have a lift ump and a high pressure pump. but then again you know more that's why you are here. have a good day.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok the duramax has not lift pump, I wasted my $5 on some dumb ass that went to school on meth. Get lost

haha ok no lift pump so explain how it gets its fuel from the tank

even though your a typical country hick that liks to be a prick. I still continue to help you. this year has an out of tank lift pump so I was wrong on that part but this is a picture of said non existant lift pump on the frame rail of the truck.