Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2001 Silverado will not start. when trying to start is does

2001 Silverado will not start. when trying to start is does nothing but set the alarm off
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: yes, multiple times chevy dealer told me to charge battery, turn key to left in door to reset. nothing
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the chevy idea, tried to turn ignition on without starting so security light blinks. only way that happens is if I leave door open, and battery light stays lit for a few seconds, then security light flashes for a few seconds, then procedure starts again. let it do that for about 15 min.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

When you turn the key to run, before you turn the key to start, the check engine light should come on and the security light if equipped, plus the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, then after 10 seconds or so, the check engine light and security light should go out.

So does the fuel pump run, do them lights come on and go out or stay lit or flash?

After that, does the starter crank the engine over?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
when I turn one click, the battery light comes on and stays on. I do not know if fuel pump comes on
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the only way the security light flashes is when the door is open

When you turn what one click? the ignition key? If so, turn it to what? Run or start?

Does the check engine light come on and then go off?

If you are not sure about the fuel pump running, remove the gas cap and put your ear up to the fill hole and have someone else turn the key to run and listen if the fuel pump makes a humming noise.

Does the starter crank the engine over when the key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thanks . this will have to be another day.

ok

Too cold outside? A lot of customers have been saying that it is too cold to work out there. It should warm up by Thursday, here in southwest pa it should get up to the 50's they said.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
when I turn the ignition to run, the only light that lights up in the message center is the battery light. when I try to start the horn and lights blink as if someone is trying to steal it. I have fully charged battery, and have tried turning key in the door to the left. I even hooked up to computer to read codes. said there are no open codes, and reset anyway. still wont start and sets alarm off. fuel pump is working

It sounds like a security issue to me.

If you have a spare key try it, if not you are going to have to find out why the security system thinks it's being stolen.

tell me more about this Silverado. What size is it, what engine came in it and what transmission is in it? Is it 4wd or 2wd?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
do you think the key will make a difference if there is no chip in key. it is a 1500, small 4800 v8, auto and 4wd and 2001

Lets begin with this 2001 Chevrolet Silverado Diagnostic System Check - Theft Deterrent

Is this a brand new key or something?

Then this one, Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Does Not Disarm with Key Lock

This should give us a good starting point.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
not new key, tried the spare same result

Complete those 2 procedures and let me know if you get stuck or need another pinpoint test that it tells you to complete.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
will do, thanks

you are welcome.

I will be here waiting in case you need any more pinpoint tests but if this helps you find the problem don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you are texting from a cellphone you must scroll all the way back up to the top to see the rating button.