GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2010 chevrolet equinox 3.0L v6...I had a check engine light

Customer Question

2010 chevrolet equinox 3.0L v6...I had a check engine light on so I plugged my snap on pro link ultra into the bod. The code i got was for a camshaft timing sensor bank 1 sensor b. According to a diagram i found on the internet it said it was on the rear head but closer to the front of the car. I replaced the sensor. I'm still getting the same code for the same sensor. Did I miss something?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I typically do not recommend phone calls, This is an automated request. DO not accept without me telling you I am requesting it. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

What is the exact code you are getting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Crankshaft-camshaft correlation bank 1 sensor b
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

A correlation code is almost never a bad sensor. Usually it is a timing chain or tensioner problem

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow. Ok. So how do I verify that?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scope? If no the only way is to remove the front cover

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow. What am I looking for when I pull the cover? Proper tension ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Align the timing marks and make sure they align. Broken tensioner. Debris, broken guide. loose chain

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. If I can get ahold of a scope where should I look with it?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Lou here, different tech, lets step back a few , what is the code number you had exactly. also what is the vin number of the car? thanks, ***** ***** help you with this.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 month ago.

I see the chat is a few days old, please let me know if you still need assistance with this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do still need assistance. It will be this afternoon before I can get u the code. Thanks.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 month ago.

ok that is fine, appreciate the reply, I will be on later as well , just give me time to see your reply and get back with you. thanks !, Lou P.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I apologize for not getting back to you. Came down with the flu. Will try to get back w u tmrw.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 month ago.

No worries , feel better !