AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

In my 95 s10, just replaced fuel pump in tank. but i try to

Customer Question

in my 95 s10, just replaced fuel pump in tank. but i try to start it and it wont start
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: i just got the truck 2 months ago have no idea whats been done on it
JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: kinda. had someone who said they knew what they were doing. but maybe not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when the pump first went a week ago we banged bottom of tank and it ran again. but 2 days ago truck would run but touch clutch or gas and it would die. so got a new pump put it in now nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i dont have much experience working on cars that was my late husbands thing i have learnt a little bit. but very limited. i just need to get truck running so i can go to work. replaced fuel pump. what do i do next
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Are you saying it cranks over but does not start?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thankyou. yes . last week the truck would not start. put some fuel down carb it started. banged bottom of fuel tank ran for a week. 2 days ago truck would not stay running. pushed in clutch ot gas peddel it would die. now i dont have much experience working on cars that was my late husbands thing but i know a little. what would be a good thing to check first
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also the truck box was not removed they cut a hole on box to get to fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have a 95 chevy s10 on engine says v5 vortec
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information.

What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
v5 vortec is all i know
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Got it!

Thank you for that information.

YES, the first thing to do is check for spark while cranking and or to see if the engine runs on starting fluid. Checking fuel pressure would be the correct test done by an auto mechanic to determine if the new fuel pump is working or not. You can also check to see if the fuel pressure leaks down after the engine is turned off by watching the fuel pressure gauge to see if it drops down. If so, it could be a leaky fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel into the engine not accounted for by the computer causing this hard/no start condition.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok i know how to check for spark but how do i check to see the pressure
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

You can use a simple spark tester to check for spark. Just insert it into the spark plug wire and ground it out on the other side. Watch for spark as someone is cranking the engine over.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

CLICK HERE for a spark tester

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ya i got that. but how do i check fuel pressure
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

You would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and crank the engine over while you take a reading.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok well i will have to find a fuel pressure gage and figure out where to connect it to read it. thanks but this might take me a while.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

No problem. There should be a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail to screw in the fuel pressure gauge. Once you find it, it is really easy to attach the gauge.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
quick question. when you replace a fuel pump do you always need to check the fuel pressure.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

You dont have to.. no.. but I would strongly recommend it.

How else would you know the fuel pump is bad if you dont check the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i dont know thats why i asked
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Not a problem! :)