Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 chevy equinox automobile has a partly clogged heater

Customer Question

2005 chevy equinox automobile has a partly clogged heater core only blowers a small amount of heat throw the heater and being that it is 30 below 0 it's not cutting it.
I want to unclog it not replace it if possible
And I do not have a lot of time to accomplish this task
My wife is disabled and we need to get the car warmer for our trips to town.
Prior to last week everything ran good and heated well,
What would your best auto mechanic which specialize in this issue please respond
How can I fix this relatively fast from inside my cold garage?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The best way to unclog heater core is by flushing it out with a garden hose. You will want to disconnect both of the hoses going into the firewall then use a garden hose to flush it out from both directions. I'd expect this to take you around a hour or two and a shop would charge about a hour labor to do this. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would there be any problem with water getting inside of the vehicle that way and is the heater core below the glove box roughly and the to hoses should connect from inside the firewall do I need a hose adapter of some sort or just do the best I can with the garden hose do you know what size the hoses are roughly and there is only one spot to do this correct
There is not several of these areas in the firewall just trace from radiator to this heater corePlease
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No water would not get inside by doing flush. If coolant was leaking inside right now then that would mean heater core is leaking. The hoses go into firewall right behind engine, pretty much in the center. You can make a adapter with a slightly larger radiator hose or just duct tape garden hose to heater core hose. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.