Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Last night I got stuck in a snow bank I than put my

Customer Question

Last night I got stuck in a snow bank I than put my Silverado F71 2013 on low 4X4 and escape easy. I can not put back on 2x4. I turned the knob and the little yellow light flashed but can not resum 2X4. I can tell in rideing it that it is in fact still on Low 4X4???
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: The little light directly onto th knob and blinks and goes off.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not I don t fixe it myself by choice but I am not so bad on mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 18 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

with the transmission in neutral and sitting still the transfer case wont shift back to 2hi?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
exactly

what engine do you have?

ok..if you turn of the truck and restat it,,does it still not shift?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
still not shift. I drove to work this morning 5 miles away.. thought it would warm up but did no do the trick!

what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
5.3L

ok

the indicator lights flash every time you try to shift..correct?

do you also hear a clicking noise?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the indicator lights flash every time you try to shift..correct YES but no clicking noise

ok

i would think your problem is the transfer case actuator/encoder motor..these will get weak and not have enough torque to shift the case.

you could try removing the encoder and manually shift the case back and forth a few times with a crescent wrench or large pair of pliers then reinstall the motor and it may start back working..

but you may end up having to buy a new one.

these will do this most times from a lack of use.

also,check the fluid in the transfer case to make sure it is full.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb1b6st868iqyr5/0105-chevy-Powertrain%20Component%20Views.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/cb1b6st868iqyr5/0105-chevy-Powertrain%20Component%20Views.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi me again. Juste an update for your knowledge... I got into my pick up truck last night with in mind to kick the actuator by swithcing back and forth the knob from 2hi to 4hi, 4lo and auto and vise and vers a couple of time very rapidely. I do not know if in fact it did kick but all of a sudden it started to work and work great since. Thank for your help. Michel
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 17 days ago.

great,these will stick like this sometimes..it is a good idea to activate 4wd back and forth regularly ,even when you dont need it

thanks