Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Truck has a loud popping/knocking/tapping noise, hard to

Customer Question

Truck has a loud popping/knocking/tapping noise, hard to describe, it increases with rpms on the engine and is pretty much absent at idle
truck seems to have plenty of power, but it sounds like this noise is on the inside of the engine and not good...? maybe a spun bearing or stuck lifter?? i don't know, truck has 170k on a i5 3.7l engine, is a 4x4 and z71
im getting the following engine codes when i scan p00014 cam position acuator b bank 1 time over advanced p0449 evap control vent valve sol malfunction p00449p p0455 evap emission control leak large
Please help, I need to fix my truck asap and don't have the money to take to a mechanic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIfK7mTaH4
thats a video of the noise
i changed oil, no metal shavings, and oil looked fine...what could be wrong?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the next thing i may try is replacing timing chain and guides...if that doesn't work...it sounds like a new head or engine will be needed??
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

The knocking sound in the video is a definite rod bearing. Aside from the trouble codes, (which have nothing to do with it) there is a spun rod bearing. A slight piston slap as well but most likely from the worn out bearing, allowing the piston to go up too far.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
am i able to replace just the rod bearing succesfully?

That would depend on if the crankshaft is worn or out of round, (which is very likely) and you will want to install a reground crank kit, (with all the bearings). Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, so replace crank shaft and bearings....is it worth rebuilding the engine while it is out? it has 170k on it..

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but yes that would be the best thing to do, with that many miles on it.

We, (the experts) are only paid by your positive ratings.