Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Backlash problem in steering column, yes, 05 cobalt, will

Customer Question

backlash problem in steering column
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 05 cobalt
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: will take it to dealer. I had another mechanic check issue and they said there is a plastic gear and a metal gear and the plastic wears out causing rattle.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

it appears from what I can gather is that you have a issue with the steering and a noise?

what is the exact question or info you seek?

I can surely advise I just need a little clarification on the issue at hand and what you need from me. Lou P.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is a rattle from the steering column probably caused by backlash from worn plastic gear in steering assembly. What needs to be replaced to correct this problem?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

ok is the rattle when driving or when turning or?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

on a lot of the models a rattle noise over certain bumps is a small intermediate steering shaft that makes noise . nor the rack necessarily.

usually if the rack is bad you will get slop in the steering and no noise.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

here are the instructions for replacing the steering shaft, no one rebuilds racks any more, too much liability. if the issue is the rack which would be rare the rack would need to be replaced. hope this helps, sway bar links, sway bar bushings and intermediate steering shafts are the most probable causes for noise in the steering, hope this helps, Lou P.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you. Lou P.