sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 chevy Colorado five cyl. When I drive

Customer Question

I have a 2005 chevy Colorado five cyl. When I drive periodically the gauge cluster gauges stop working, warning lights come on, a track fault message appears and the a/c stops blowing cold air. So I have turn off the engine and wait a minute and then turn it back on for everything to start working again. And also sometimes it won't crank like the truck doesn't know it is in neutral. Any thoughts what could be the problem?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Yes it is getting fuel and I just changed the plugs and coil packs and cam sensor. The truck started doing this a few months back when I ran the battery down running the radio. I had the battery and alternator checked at napa and everything checks out and the battery is only a year old.
JA: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I reset the computer a few times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes There is something rattling inside my truck's catylatic converter.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's going to require some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on. You either have multiple modules that are losing a power or ground feed due to a power distribution or wiring issue, or the problem is with bus communication. All modules communicate over a wired network and if communication stops due to a wiring issue or internal failure in a module it will cause what you're describing. The first step will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting in all modules and from there it will take some testing while the problem is happening to determine what is wrong.