Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Inside front axle drivers side differential housing, I

Inside front axle drivers side differential housing, I cannot remove the keeper that should be on the stub shaft. It feels like it is in the housing stuck in a groove. If I take the new keeper off the stub shaft, the stub shaft slides right in. But with the new c clip on the shaft, it will not. I assume what I feel in the housing is the old keeper(or c clip). Any way to remove it?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 Yukon
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. In trying to remove the keeper, we have tried a magnet, thinking the keeper may have broken in removal of the stub shaft. then in feeling around in the shaft could feel the edge of the keeper in a space between the splines but not where it would be if it were on the shaft where it should have been. The shaft came out much harder than it should have.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The axle appeared to be somewhat pushed out before we started to remove anything. I am thinking the last person to remove it did NOT get the keeper in right and it has been messed up in this groove or space for quite some time.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

If the axle shaft will go in with out the clip on it then there is nothing broken jammed in its way. It takes a great deal of effort to get those clips to compress to allow removal and installation of axle shaft. Normally once the splines are aligned to take a high swift push to seat the axle shaft. If you feel there is something stuck in there, you will need to remove the other axle shaft and the differential.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris