Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

03 lb7 new starter on put battery terminal on starter sound

Customer Question

03 lb7 new starter on put battery terminal on starter sound like it engages halfway without key in the ignition help
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Double check the battery power feed cable at the starter is not contacting the ignition feed wire to the starter or post as this will cause this issue here and this will need corrected.If this is all o.k. and your old and new starter both acted up like this here this can indicate a fault with the starter/crank relay itself with it needing replaced.I have seen this relay stick on causing this issue here.If you need the location of this or any testing info on this here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No pete no wires are touching ...
I actually pull in ignition relay and starter relay swapped it with the same thing then I pull ed the ignition fuse, ignition relay, starter relay with key out of ignition in off position hook up the the battery again and same thing. ...it seem like there is a open circuit ...Im very mechanically incleded but this is blowing my mind
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

If you disconnect the ignition wire from the starter ( the smaller of the 2 wires) does the starter still crank over on its own?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What I'm going to do is dis connect the ignition wire off the start hook the battery back you see what happens then I have a power probe I'm going use it as bypass to put it on the starter ignition pole add the 12 volts and see what happens
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.With the relays removed and the fuses pulled it should not crank over unless this ignition wire is shorted somewhere in the wiring harness to where it is shorted to battery voltage causing this fault here.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete