Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I just changed out the engine in the truck ran wonderful for

Customer Question

I just changed out the engine in the truck ran wonderful for two weeks. Now I have a fuel pressure problem. I put a new pump in because the truck has 200,000 on it. When I turn the key to the on position I have about four psi at the test forThe truck wants to start I get a burnt pot of it every now and again but it will not start and run
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: All of that seems fine I have no problem with the key for the ignition switch or the steering wheel
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 05 3500 6.0l silverardo
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I actually owned a diesel shop for 20+ years until I got hurt. Was never much of a gas guy. I swap the engine out and I put in all new fuel lines they were rotted from Plowing and a brand-new Delco pond. New wires plugs etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think o
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help.I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better.I read your question and what you have done so far. This will be redressing to help someone that has been in the trade and knows how to do tests.I see your only getting about 4 psi? thats lower then the reserve pressure. Have you tried pinching off the return line from the rail to see if the pressure goes up? just do this for a second or two just to get an idea, this will tell you if the pump is actually providing pressure or the relief valve is holding pressure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have John what you recommended and also checked for coverage at fuel regulator and that is fine I check the fuel lines from the tank all the way up and there are no restrictions at all And like I explained earlier they're brand-new fuel lines it is a brand-new fuel pressure regulator I had replace these pots when I did the engine swap. If I pull the harnesses off of the top all the fuel pump which is my 12 V hot lead. There are two connectors to the pump I think one is a four pin one is a six pin I can drop the tank pull the connectors and check for electricity

Yes after reading what you have done so far that would be the next logical step.Also check the ground from tank to body, try a temporary jumper there.

Just checking to see how your doing and if you require further help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you very much for your help I found the problem you end up being a bad frame ground so I was able to pull it up on trying to clean and reattach it. If I have problems in the future I'll be sure to reach out thank you very much

Please don't forget to give me a 5 star ratting would be appreciated, thank you.