Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

The car started this morning when my daughter got out of

Customer Question

The car started this morning when my daughter got out of work it would not start it's turning over fine, I put a bottle of dry gas and 5 gallons of gas It still will not start
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I just came home to get a bottle of starter fluid , it starts right up in the morning not hard starting at all
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2000 Chevy blazer V6
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I'm letting it sit for a bit then I'm going to try starting fluid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause on this model for a no start that I have run into several times and had to replace several times is the fuel pump itself.This engine needs a fuel pressure of around 60 psi to start.If it is any lower then usually 58 psi then it will not start and is due to a weak pump.The pump can act up or fail like this here allowing starting the first start of the day or started today then failed and a no start.It can be intermittent in some cases.You can try starting fluid to see if it stumbles or tries to start.If it does then the pump usually needs replaced.

You can also rent a fuel pressure test gauge from a local parts store and thread it onto the fuel rail test port towards the rear of the engine.Turn on the key and should see around 55 to 60 psi.If any lower then the pump needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
6 months ago I had to replace a fuel line coming out of the tank, I hope your wrong it's a real pain in the ass to change that pump, I'm hopingoing it's just condensation , thanks for your help
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome

Unfortunately the pump is most common here.It is possible this is a different component like the ignition coil or ignition module as these can fail and cause no spark but usually it is the pump itself.I hated doing this replacement as well on this model but did over 100 of these due to the common failure of it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete