Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox with 99,000 miles. It was

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox with 99,000 miles. It was manufactured in 9/2011 so it falls outside the recall year for the issue I need help with. It is currently throwing a P228D code. I have replaced both the intake and exhaust cam shaft sensors (NOT easy), cam shaft solenoids (VERY easy), cleaned the throttle body, replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil (needed both anyway), the air filter and the fuel pump on the front of the engine near the intake manifold.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: Well, the code says Fuel pressure regulator 1 exceeded control limits-pressure too high. I have been told there are 3 sensor; one in the fuel tank , one on the rail and one on the line. I'm not sure which one is regulator 1 or what I would need to check on the fuel rail.
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know there are a lot of issues with the prior year vehicles and believe this one is part of that group. I'm not sure what the next steps I should take are.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

This is the 3.0L engine, correct?

Do you have a scan tool with live data feed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry...I forgot to include that info. No, its a 2.4L, gas with 2WD.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I need you to check the fuel rail pressure readout on your scan tool with engine idling and let me know what it is

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Also if yours has command features, command it to increase and then decrease fuel pressure and watch the data feed to see if it responds

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok...It's going to take a bit as I have to go to where the vehicle is. I know the pressure was reaching near 3000 but when driving it was normal and at a stop it would drop to 800 and below. It doesn't have a command feature. Since there are 3 sensors, which one is regulator 1?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

This is either going to be the high pressure pump or the camshaft.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, should have said most likely the high pressure pump or camshaft.

The sensor for the code is the one on the fuel rail - see attached

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the range is from 37-45 psi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry. Wrong reading....
2300-2500 at idle
Giving it gas, at 3000 rpm, the pressure drops to around 1200
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, it should be 429-470 psi

The fuel rail pressure sensor on the rail is bad and will need to be replaced. Do you need directions for that as the intake manifold has to come off for this

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, directions are attached for you

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello again...I replaced the high pressure fuel sensor on the rail and am still getting the same four codes-P014, P016, P017 and P228D.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When it threw the code, the fuel rail pressure was at 312. It is currently running at 55-60psi in idle and the other is running at about 2400psi.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know if it's related but the Service Stabilitrack warning light comes on at the same time as the Check Engine Light as well.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have read in various forums that the OnStar computer was replaced and that solved the problem. Do you have any information about that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since I haven't heard anything from you, I tried the dialytic grease on the ECM (didn't change anything) before I opened the engine. I had a couple of friends help me take the cover off and check the timing chain. It was off by 5 teeth so we reset the timing, started it and it is still running rough. We checked the timing again and this time it was off by 2 teeth so we believe it is the cam sprockets as it only ran for about 2 minutes. We are planning on replacing those and the tensioner tomorrow. Is there anything else you would recommend we do? I would appreciate a response since I haven't heard back from you in a few days.