GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I am getting a rattling sound from the steering column when

Customer Question

i am getting a rattling sound from the steering column when i apply my brakes, almost like a relay chattering, but you can feel it in the steering wheel
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 150000, starts great, drives great, just when i start to apply the brakes..the harder i apply the brakes the faster the noise will cycle..sounds like a machine gun sometimes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 equinox LT
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just starting to look in to it, changed the front tires, had the brakes redone six months ago, was going to check if there was some kind of linkage in the steering column or maybe a sensor that was out of alignment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i cant think of anything
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site, Vibrations while braking come from warped brake rotor/drum surfaces. As you drive the vehicle more and heat builds up in the brake rotor/drum then the unevenness becomes more apparent, So just replacing the brake pads does not help the vibration. The rotors need to be replaced . Make sure that when reinstalling the rotor/drum that you clean all of the rust and corrosion from the hub mating surfaces. The other thing worth checking is the front suspension and steering parts,make sure they are all in good shape and nothing is excessively loose.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did the brakes, that didnt help the problem. have not had them rechecked yet. was told there may be a sensor of some kind in the steering column or a linkage..that has been know to go bad...how that be checked with out taking the steering column apart?

there is no sensor that would cause that. you need to get the front end up off the ground and inspect the inner and outer tie rod ends and ball joints for excessive movement.

make sure the stabilizer bar links arent broken also

well its getting late here , ill be back on in the morning. please let me know if you find anything. thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry..have the flu..can bearly breathe talking not going to happen...i was told it is electric assist steering, no really sure what that is, the tie rods and ball joints make sense..just got on a tangent with all the new tech in it..do you know of any tech bullitins on the steering column?

let me look that up for you.

Recent 2007 Equinox TSBs

STEERING

• Date ReportedJUNE 01, 2010
    • NHTSA Reference#10019478
    • TSB Reference#060232002

Description: NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS OF ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) SYSTEM DURING EXTENDED LOCK-TO-LOCK (MAXIMUM STEERING WHEEL ROTATION) USAGE. *TT UPDATED

• SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

• Date ReportedOCTOBER 01, 2007
    • NHTSA Reference#10023914
    • TSB Reference#070232009

Description: INFORMATION ON ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE SET DTC'S C0252/C0460 AND POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE SET DTC'S C056E/C0460/C0545. *NJ

• POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT

• Date ReportedOCTOBER 19, 2006
    • NHTSA Reference#10020583
    • TSB Reference#3952

Description: VEHICLE SPEED RELATED VIBRATION/SHUDDER 25/30 MPH. *KB

•  

nothing really on the the steering column, except having the electronic steering module reprogrammed. but its not a recall. you would be responsible for the cost.

Just checking into to see how its going