AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Chevy Malibu, would not start, hardly any noise, an

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Malibu, would not start, hardly any noise, an ocassional click, pull and had starter tested, tested good. Pulled ignition switch, continuity test was good, tried starting in neutral , started right up but stayed engaged until shut off but also now starts in park also with same results. When ignition initially in on position, no power on yellow wire, but once started and returned to on then there is power on yellow wire. Disconnecting the yellow wire at the ignition, the wire on the solenoid, or the alternator wire then the starter disengages. hooked a toggle switch inline with yellow wire to shut off power to the solenoid, worked great, but now my battery isn't being charged. Please help and thanks
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What do you mean by "stays engaged", are you saying that the starter continues to spin?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

It seems to me that you have a faulty transmission range sensor. All of your symptoms fit it. The transmission range sensor (sometimes also incorrectly referred to as the neutral safety switch) is responsible, among other things, for allowing power to be sent to the starter only when the transmission is in the park or neutral gear. In order to do this, there is a power circuit always present inside the sensor, so if the sensor shorts internally it can not only prevent the vehicle from starting, but can force the stater to turn even after the engine starts and is running.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
would that cause the battery to not charge and is there a way to test it

It is possible that it could also cause the battery not to charge, but this could also be another issue. We can go through some tests on it...do you have a multimeter available and are you able to use it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I do have one
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 9 days ago.

Ok, so the first thing to check would be the purple wire coming out of the switch. This is the control circuit for the starter and it will be energized anytime the signal is being sent to the starter. If the starter is engaging while the engine is running, you should check this here. If it is getting power, then you can assume that it is getting a signal from the switch. If you have cut power from the switch, then you have already proven this to a point.

*p.s. the yellow wire that feeds power to the range switch also provides power to other accessories, including the alternator. This is why you are no longer getting power from the alternator.

Have you had any luck checking the items I mentioned?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I won't be able to check it until tomorrow, I will let you know as soon as I can

Not a problem, and of course no rush

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 7 days ago.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. Have you decided to replace the range switch? Do you have any further questions? If so, please let me know. Otherwise, if you are satisfied with my answer, please take a moment to leave a positive rating using the star rating system above. Thanks!

-Josh

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Been working late all week so haven't been able to get to it yet I have tomorrow off so I will check it out then. Just found out yesterday my son fried the battery cables by driving it could that be from the issues we are having from the starter and alternator? Oh how I miss old school rigs
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 6 days ago.

I suppose it is possible; what do you mean he fried the cables?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I was told that the battery was smoking and the cables were so hot he couldn't remove them from the battery

Oh, wow. I can't say that I've seen that particular instance happen before but I guess it is conceivable that the starter could have overheated as a result of your problem and subsequently heated up the cable directly to the battery. I don't think that this is likely, however.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Finally got the car to my place it looks like it was the ground cable that got hot and the purple wire you mention is the large wire on the nss
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I said the negative cable but that was the one they had disconnected both cables have continuity
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Also they installed a push to start button instead of a solenoid kill switch so I will have to connect that differently to do the tests correct? If yes then I will reconnect it to the ignition
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

If so, please let me know. I will be happy to help!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yep still need help
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 days ago.

Ok, excellent!

You will need to remove any aftermarket components such as the push button remote start and hook the starting circuit back up the way it came from the factory.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It's back to the way it's suppose to be when I tried to start it last night there was a single click and the positive cable sparked at the battery when I turned the key off
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 days ago.

If it sparked at the battery, that means there is a bad connection.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
At the battery?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 days ago.

Yes Sir

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I know it was tight at the battery but there are 2 cables hooked together there so I will check that when I get off work
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 days ago.

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Sorry it took o long to get back to you. I got the loose wire at the + cable fixed, but was seeing a little more spark then I am used to when I hooked up the - cable. I checked continuity from the + to ground and it went straight to 0. checked at the alternator hot wire to housing and starter hot wire to housing, both 0 ohms. pull each wire and checked stud to housing and got no continuity on either one.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 day ago.

I think it would be best if we could speak on the phone.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I don't have the extra money for that right now
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 day ago.

How about if I lower the price for the additional service from $26 to $5 bucks?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I won't even have that until friday
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 day ago.

Ok, not a problem. We can continue then.

Have a great night!

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
you too thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 day ago.

:)