david carrier
david carrier,
Experience:  lead technician at firestone
96761930

05 equinox that stalls after starting. has had following

Customer Question

05 equinox that stalls after starting. has had following replaced: pcm, egr valve, fuel pump and fuse box. any thoughts
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no. mechanics at shop are still trying to track down problem. not sending any codes. weird. they started with fuel pump, then pcm, then egr valve and fuse box next to pcm. running out of ideas.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: been at shop for nearly 4 weeks. no codes puzzling
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david carrier replied 6 months ago.

Hi there this is dave from just answer. I'm here to try to help with your issue your having.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay, what else could be happening that the guys at the shop might have missed.

can you tell me what happened leading up to this when it first happened?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this started as fuel pump. car was driven after, but began to run rough and did not always want to start without giving gas. then they replaced fuel pump-again and it died on them next day. Not left their shop since then.

Ok so just to make sure I understand correctly it starts and then stalls or does it crank and not start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah, it will start and then 15 seconds later, sputters and dies. it acts like it is not getting fuel, but the pump seems to be holding pressure-25 or so
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
car only has 132k miles, not bad for nearly 12 years. could the change of fuel pump caused an issue with the injectors-fouling them up.

That would be highly unlikely. But are you sure about the 25 psi of fuel pressure that is to low for the car to fun properly. should be double that amount

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not sure, saw that when they were still working on replacing fuel pump- thought it had bad regulator. When replaced fuel pump again, 3rd time, that is when it began to look like something else going on. Fuel pump is expensive after market part, but not delco.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it seems like lottery odds of getting 3 bad fuel pumps in a row. Has anyone else reported issues with replacing fuel pump and brands.

If they have done 3 pumps already the chances they have all been defective are slim to none. Do you no if they have checked anti theft system at all. if the antitheft stem has a problem it shuts down the fuel pump. Do you happen to have another key that the shop can try.

I have seen fuel pumps fail but your problem sounds more like a antitheft issue to me. I'm sure they had to reprogram the ecu when they replaced it but I would ask them if the scanned the car for any antitheft codes. That would be my next step I would recommend.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the spare key here at home. Wouldn't it show on the scanners as needing to reset the anti theft system. 2 different scanners are not showing anything, but i take the spare key over. The keys aren't chipped=just regular chevy keys. will it start with the other key any better?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will run by the shop with the key and mention about the anti theft system. Thanks for your time David.
I hope this works, eventually, she is going to want her car back(wife's car).
Thanks again
They need to go into the specific antithelf module to check for those codes. They need a factory scan tool to do that so you can ask them if they have one. Sometime the key can get worn out and they may need both. It's just a good thing for them to have that's all. I hope all works out well for you if I'll be here if you have anymore questions.
I'm glad to help and hope this info gets you some answers. If you wouldn't mind just rating how my service was for you today as well it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there im actually just writing to see how everything is going with the car. Also i was hoping to get a rating from you for my service the other day because i dont get credit for the help without a positive rating from you. If you felt i was helpful i would love a rating thank you