Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 chevy Colorado 4x4 automatic, none of the brake lights

Customer Question

2005 chevy Colorado 4x4 automatic, none of the brake lights work replaced brake light sw. ( one on the right when looking at the pedal. check fuse's #1 20A and 19 10A, turn signals works not brake lights. Cruise does not work ether. thanks Dave
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fluid was good, how would that effect the brake lights and Cruise? just wondering
JA: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new bulbs, new brake light sw. checked fuse's, #1 brake lights, # 19 cruise, yes fixing my self.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 days ago.

Check to see if orange wire going to switch has power, let me know. thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I did check for power and it had it to the plug,
Expert:  Dan replied 10 days ago.

Jump orange wire to light blue wire and let me know if lights come on. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
can I get back to you in a few days the truck is up at my sons collage, I did replace the sw so I know that's good, if the lights still don't come on after jumping what can I look for, I just want a number of things to check when I get there, thanks Dave
Expert:  Dan replied 10 days ago.

If lights do come on when jumping switch that means new switch is bad or it is installed wrong. If not then there is a problem on the light blue wire somewhere between switch and splice 100. Here is a wire diagram and picture of splice to help with testing. Let me know how it goes, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqhjzm7y3e8m5xk/bl1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wv7dm3l64i5ihbk/bl2.pdf?dl=0