Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Left rear directional stops blinking when Brakes applied on

Customer Question

Left rear directional stops blinking when Brakes applied on 2000 Chevy Blazer and Blinker relay buzzes
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 143000 miles was starting fine recent dead battery from sitting
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself suspect a ground issue don't know where grounds are located
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is usually caused by a common fault with the hazard button itself.This shorts out in the multi function switch causing this issue.Try activating and deactivating or jiggling the hazard button when this occurs and if it then blinks even briefly then the hazard button needs replaced.You can obtain just the hazard button from a local dealer or parts store and it pops out from the top and the new one installs in place.

If it continues to act up and doesnt try and operate at all when this is tried let me know,but this was a very common fault on this model to where GM made it to where just the button could be replaced instead of the entire switch assembly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still unable to get vehicle started, but hooked up jumper pack and tested your theory. The directional works while on by itself as does the hazards. Once break is applied the left directional indicator stays solid and wiggling the hazard switch has no effect. The right directional operates as it is supposed to.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize,is the engine not starting as well here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But that is a new problem that has come after the truck sat for a couple months and battery died I suspect that thie fuel drained back due to bad check valve. I am most concerned with the directional I will not put any more time or Money into vehicle unless It can pass inspection. And the only issue with that is the directional.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Does the left front directional blink with this issue here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, both the front and rear directionals stop blinking when brake is applied.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,both left and right rear lights use the same ground.If there is an issue with the splice to the rear left light for the ground signal this issue can occur.Try removing the left rear light and jumping a ground to the black wire and see if this corrects the fault.If it does then the black wire needs inspected to locate and repair the ground source issue.This ground for the rear is ground G450.

Ground G111 is the ground for the left front light assembly.You can try and jump a ground to this black wire as well and see if it corrects the fault.If it does then the issue is with the front light black wire to the ground source.

G111 is located Forward lamps harness, to the left of the radiator support

G450 is located Body harness, in the LH Rear body comer, near C403 to the tail lamp harness

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you give me better ground locations for rear.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I dont show any diagrams on the grounds themselves but the rear ground is located near C 403 and below is a diagram for the location of C403.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yutkshikrydl6cq/c4-11-27.gif?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok there is a connector inside the left rear quarter panel for the taillight I found when I wiggle or bang the connector I can get the flasher to work. It would appear that the connector has an issue. Can I get that connector for male and female sides or do I need to perform a splice. Also could I ask a question related to the no start or would that be an additional charge.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

You can try a dealer to see if they can sell this connector still but usually due to the year you may need to obtain it from a salvage yard or splice the wiring together unfortunately.

The no start is a separate question so it would have to be opened as a new question unfortunately.You can however request me or put my name in the first few letters of the question so I can see it to answer it.

Thanks Pete