Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Tbe trans went utm, 1994k2500 pickup, 1994, Buyimga used

Customer Question

Tbe trans went utm
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1994k2500 pickup
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 1994
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Buyimga used trans
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes i have another truck its a 1977 k2500 that i installed a 1996 vortec 5.7 with a 700r4 auto trans (early 90s model with a 205 transfer case(1976 vintage. everythinv was workng fine together,i put about 5000 miles on the combo until one day i stopped at.a traffic light went to take off and it sounded like it poped out of gear then started this grinding noise.i had no forward or rev.gears just this noise i towed it home and pulled tbe transfer case ,i had decided the noise was from the output shaft of the trans turning inside of the input collar of the tranfer case. My is do ihave a miss match of parts that caused this or what how do i fix the problem?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The noise was tbe output shaft of trans turning inside the input collar of tranfercase
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 days ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 10 days ago.

when in park you can turn the output shaft ?

are the splined stripped out on the end of the output shaft that spline into the transfer case ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
they are
Expert:  Gary replied 10 days ago.

if the splines where stripped out on the output shaft the transmissions output shaft was the wrong spline or the transfer case was the wrong one with a different spline

they had 2 or 3 different plied output shafts

at this point both the output shaft and the splines on the input of the transfer case should be damaged and i would pick up a matched transfer case and transmission complete and swap them out so this does not happen again

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer