Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

My dash light up saying oil presure low stop engine I test

Customer Question

Hello so my dash light up saying oil presure low stop engine I test oil with dip stick it's at good level do I add some oil just to be a little more the same reading there's no knocking in the engine
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No I don't know any thing about cars where should I look for fuse
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 chevr Tahoe
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just adding oil as I taught it might've been a low
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Does your vehicle have the 4.8L or the 5.3L engine?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where do I look for that info
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 days ago.

I can use your VIN# ***** identify

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1gnfk13097r108944
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 days ago.

Great! Thanks! Give me one moment....

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for holding!

Ok. As long as there are no knocking or ticking noises coming from the engine, this is most commonly due to a faulty Oil Pressure Sensor. These are common fail items on these vehicle. I would strongly recommend that the 'actual' oil pressure be tested with the use of a pressure testing tool just to confirm no internal engine problems, like a failing oil pump. If the actual oil pressure checks ok, the Oil Pressure Sensor will need to be replaced. It's located on the top, driver's side rear of the engine. To gain the access needed to get a tool on it and remove it unfortunately, will require that the intake manifold first be removed. The sensor itself is roughly $20-$25 and the Labor is just abour 2.5 hours. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks will go to the mechanic this is more than I can. Handle
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello again did what you said the mechanic change the sensor/switch and the same problem is on the dash board
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Need help b4 the mechanic leaves
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 days ago.

The actual oil pressure reading will need to be taken next.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How can the pressure be taken when the switch is behind the Engine and it has to be running for the pressure to be read
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 days ago.

The pressure sensor will need to be removed and the testing tool installed in it's place. You will need:

• EN-21867 - Pressure Gauge
  • EN-21867-16 - Oil Pressure Adapter
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok but the intake manifold and when it's remove the engine can't function so the question I have is How is the adapter or oil gauge tester is in place how would it be able to read a pressure without the engine
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 days ago.

The tester tool will need to be installed in place of the pressure sensor. Remove the sensor, install the tester, install the intake.