Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Trying to diagnose issue with rear brake lights on a 96 gmc

Customer Question

Trying to diagnose issue with rear brake lights on a 96 gmc c3500hd cab and chassis
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: No brake lights and when turn signal both activated, we changed the multi function switch and now the turn signals work correctly and we then changed the brake switch, still no brake lights to rear lights, we did have a white wire that worked when the brakes were activated.
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to, we have traced the wires back to the cab, no shorts than we can see
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Here is a wire diagram if needed. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/brakelights.pdf

Is the white wire to the multifunction switch powered when the brake pedal is applied?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris