sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Turn key in ignition, no start, no crank. Leave key forward

Customer Question

Turn key in ignition, no start, no crank. Leave key forward door bell rings and says service 4wd.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's a silverado. Yes, it is in park.
JA: What year is your Silverado?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Brought to dealership with same issue less than a month ago, $400 later, a new starting relay and same problem it had earlier.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 10 days ago.

Do you know if there are any codes for the transfer case?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't have a $5000 code reader.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No codes that I was informed about.

There are ways to get the codes read for free. Some of the parts stores will read codes for you. So you do not need to have a scanner.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my truck won't start; therefore an auto parts store cannot be brought to my house.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm going to try and get a code off the truck soon, my neighbor has a reader.

When you try to start it does the security light come on? This is a yellow light which says security or a picture of a lock.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
this site is a waste of my time; as a "professional" mechanic, you've asked me more questions than I've asked you
Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 9 days ago.

We need to ask questions so that we can help you diagnosis and fix your car. Most problems that are asked here are not easy as do this. With electrical issues, there can be many problems with many different symptoms.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OBD diagnostics have been done, security light does not stay on, repositioning of ignition switch, and a new starting relay. I believe it has something to do with the communication and resistance between the I/M, PCM and ECM.

The communication could be the problem. Without a scan tool this will be hard to check. Also if there is a communication problem there should be codes in the body control module. The body control module is the module that wakes up the other modules.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are dozens of possible causes for your condition and it will take some electrical testing to determine what is going on. The service four wheel drive message could be unrelated, but it may indicate there is a bus communication issue on the vehicle. The modules communicate over a wired network and if the network shorts to power or ground or is corrupted it will prevent communication. A full capability scan tool may be necessary to diagnose the issue, and it's definitely going to take some electrical testing.

Was the service four wheel drive warning coming on while the engine was still starting?