Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Replace the rear wheel seal, but after a time it started

Customer Question

Replace the rear wheel seal, but after a time it started leaking again, replace the seal and bearing the second time, what is the problem?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: never did change the hoses, I pull horse trailer, hauling live stock, four or five times a year, check cows in the country some times, but mostly I use it on the highway.
JA: What year is your Country?
Customer: I have a 2008 Silverado dully, right real wheel is leaking
JA: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the seal two times and put a wheel bearing once
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: why is it still leaking?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an issue with the axle itself.I have seen the axle slightly out of round as can occur over time with heat build up needing replaced as well as marks or gouges in the axle itself needing replaced.

I would have the axle checked into as well as the axle housing for being out of round.These are usually the only 2 items/components left that will cause this fault here needing replaced.Most of the time it is the axle itself slightly out of round or damaged.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete