Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Trying to find out how to change a serpentine belt, It's nap

Customer Question

Trying to find out how to change a serpentine belt
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: It's nap when we turn the car on the other
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: The 1999 Monte Carlo z34 - 3.8
JA: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah I am we put the belt on when to fire up the car and something's not right it started smoking so we shut it down
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of so far I'm not sure
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for holding.

For easier viewing/printing, I've wrapped up the procedure to replace the belt into a PDF file. Download the PDF file here: https://goo.gl/czLgzj

If the belt has snapped and when the new belt is installed, it sounds like a pulley may have seized, which is what caused the belt to snap in the first place. Spin all the pulleys by hand and make sure they all spin freely. Common items are the idler pulley, tensioner pulley and A/C compressor pulley, so make sure you check these carefully.

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

..