GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

2006 Chev Equinox; Had to pull out complete dash to replace

Customer Question

2006 Chev Equinox; Had to pull out complete dash to replace blend-door on heating system. Putting it all back together and before putting plastic cover back over dash turned on key to ensure blend-door working - it does. But now wipers stay on at one speed (won't turn off other than by turning key off) and heater fan won't work at all. All harness connections are on properly
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering turns. Ignition switch is a little sticky (has been since we got the vehicle)
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. So far, checked all harness connections, fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

First, I need the vin number to pull both the wiring schematics and wiring routing to check for common areas of concern and if it is possible that you pinched or crimped wiring somewhere.

Also check the connector at the blower motor with the switch on high and see what the voltage reading is and let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Eric. The 8th digit is an F for the VIN. The full VIN is 2CNDL13F466XXXXXX. Here is some more information. When I hook up the code reader both the heater fan and the wipers work properly. As soon as I disconnect the reader, the wipers and fan malfunction again. Also to note, before I had the full dash together I wanted to check that the newly installed blend door was working, so the whole dash is not together yet, which means some other controls are not connected yet (hazard lights, headlights, window switches, etc). I have the sub-dash (steel) and tin dash in place, just not the plastic pieces with these other controls. Is it possible this is causing the problem and I have to install the entire dash to have all connections made? Also note, I have checked and double checked for pinched wires and don't believe that is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, since we got the car the highest setting on the heater fan never worked. When I took the dash off to replace the blend door, I noticed the fan switch and the harness it connects to were charred. In addition to the blend door, I got a used switch. When code reader connected and fan works, it still doesn't work on the highest setting. Would that be the blower resistor or something else? Not a big issue, but again, since the dash is apart it would be a good time to fix. Also, you asked for voltage reading on blower motor connector. I don't have a voltage meter, but can probably get one if required to resolve the problem.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

It sounds like you have a ground off.

The code reader maybe back feeding a ground to make wiper and fan to work.

There are 2 grounds you need to check. Make sure they are clean and tight.

At the lower center of the I/P, attached to the upper front side of the I/P fuse block.

At the RF corner of the passenger compartment, behind the RF kick panel.

Please let me know if this helps

Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need help?

Was this info helpful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi GM Bob.
There are actually 3 ground cables, with the 3rd by the steering column. All three are connected. Looks like I will have to tear down again and start over. However, I had mentioned that since we got the car the highest setting on the heater fan never worked. When I took the dash off to replace the blend door, I noticed the fan switch and the harness it connects to were charred. In addition to the blend door, I got a used switch. When code reader connected and fan works, it still doesn't work on the highest setting. Would that be the blower resistor or something else? Since I will be stripping down the dash again, it would be a good time to fix.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 month ago.

As for the high speed fan. Make sure that the purple wire at the blower resistor. Has power when the fan switch is on high.

If you do you need a resistor.

Thank you getting back with me.

Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need more help.

If you have a moment please rate my service.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. I have to take a few days away from working on this. I will get back to you and rating by the weekend. Thank you.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 month ago.

Ok

thank you