Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Key will not come out of the switch the car shuts off but it

Customer Question

key will not come out of the switch the car shuts off but it kills the battery
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: brand new battery 2 weeks old
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2007 impala LT
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had the car repaired in Newfoundland said it was a bare wire touching on the shifter rod causing the car to lock up this was in June 2016
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The GM garage in Woodstock said that the car required a complete new shifter assembly account it was not making contact with the switch to unlock the key, other professionals said this was a load of crap ????
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- the shifter assembly is a common failure, but the spring that breaks , usually they sell a a repair kit for it ,if the springs are not broke then you will have to replace the shifter assembly

this is one on ebay for sale $129

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floor-Shifter-Assembly-2006-2011-Chevrolet-Impala-2006-2007-Monte-Carlo-19259863-/360656979648?fits=Year%3A2007%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AImpala&hash=item53f8d4c6c0:g:F00AAOSwezVW1azI&vxp=mtr

I m sorry maybe not what you want to hear ,but the shifter wil be needed ,if springs are good

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat