Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

Bob, I have a 2005 chevy silverado 2500 Hd. When I put the

Customer Question

Bob,
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: I have a 2005 chevy silverado 2500 Hd. When I put the manual lever for the transfer case in 4x4 high it doesn't engage. But it will in 4x4 low, I can here the actuator working in low but cant hear it in high. I checked the wire harness to see if the connections are loose.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I'm down loading the wiring harness diagram. I did not check the fuses. I didn't know that the low has a separate fuse than the high. I will be able to check it later this afternoon.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think the mice ate a few sports in the harness. I took the harness out and repaired the connections and reinstalled it this weekend. I'm an electrician and know how to make a permanent connection. I have no problem fixing it on my own.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took the transfer case out last year to install the pump shim and reinstalled it. I didn't check to see if the 4x4 high worked since the 4x4 low worked. We had a bad snow storm last winter and found out then that the high didn't work But the low did.. I didn't have time to look at it till now.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 14 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer.

If the transfer case will not shift into*****hi after a major repair or transfer case assembly replacement it may be caused by the 4hi learned clutch pack position stored within the TCCM. To clear this learned adapt the TCCM will need to be calibrated. As you stated you did replace internals in the transfer case and it would not shift to 4hi. Unfortunately a GM dealer would have to reprogram this for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Jake,
Thanks for getting back.
I see what you are talking about, but how come it will go into 4w low. That means that any time I disconnect the transfer case I will need to reprogram.
Like when I disconnected the transfer case to fix the harness that the mouse ate.
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 13 days ago.

Well some good news. Its only for replacing the transfer case control module or internal transfer case repair. And it may not always need the adapts cleared to shift. So unplugging anything from the transfer case, like connectors, or removal of the assembly, will not require the reset. As long as the same assembly is installed back in of course.