Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My service engine light came on after and oil change, I do

Customer Question

my service engine light came on after and oil change
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I do not
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 chevy Silverado 4.8
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did put a fule cleaner in
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

did a shop change the oil ?

how does it run ?

are you near a Pep Boys or Auto Zone or Firestone as any of those 3 stores will read the codes for free for you

once we know the code number set we will know what the problem is or the problem area is

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
oil was changes and car runs strong good accerlartion
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

the odds are the light is on due to possibly when the air filter was checked or the oil filled something was possibly left unplugged or loose or just real bad timing of the light to come on

if its running good and everything looks plugged in then disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the battery cables together for 1 minute then connect both to the battery

that will clear the code

if by chance the light comes back on have a shop scan it for you

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just tried what u said and t;ight is still on. I hear nothing under the car and no smoke from the exhaust.. I am hoping its not the catalytic converter
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

hard to say what it is right now

usually when they are running good the issue can be a bad O2 sensor or a bad thermostat

we would need ti know the code set to know what the problem is

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I bought a code reader it will be hear tomorrow
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

ok let me know what code is set

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
worse case scernerio if its the catalic converter what type of repair cost am I looking at
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

a converter will run you @ 700 range for a direct fit one

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
700 included the labor
Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

yes for an aftermarket direct fit plus the labor would be the price area

dont forget to rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 14 days ago.

dont forget to rate us here