Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Getting Code P0016, Yes, That is the code P0016 - Cam

Getting Code P0016
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes, That is the code P0016 - Cam Position Senson Sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 5.3L with Active Fuel Management. The truck will not run in V4 mode and it is running rough.
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to. I have done nothing other than go to a dealer who took me down a path of removing the front cover. I went to Autozone to see if they had the part, which they do, however I am trying to locate it on the engine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

with this code set it is very cut and dry to the timing chain being off or too loose or has jumped

the front cover needs to come off and the timing marks to chain need to be checked the odds are the timing chain will be off and need to be replaced

1. Inspect the engine front cover area, or review the service history of the vehicle for any recent repairs involving the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, camshaft, crankshaft, camshaft actuator, or sprockets.
    • If recent repairs were made, refer to Timing Chain and Sprockets Replacement (LC9/LMG/LY2/LY5) Timing Chain and Sprockets Replacement (LY6/L76/L92), and inspect the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and both sprockets for proper timing alignment or indexing.
  1. Remove the engine front cover, Refer to Timing Chain and Sprockets Cleaning and Inspection.
    • If any components are worn or damage, replace as necessary.

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gary, with the timing off, would this impact the AFM not working?

yes the AFM can not work when the timing is off and codes set

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got around to tearing down the motor. Getting the oil pump off was a _itch, but we got it. Trick will be putting it back together - paying special attention to the oil pick up tube and the O-ring. Turns out the timing chain tension broke and it appeared that the timing chain jumped a couple of teeth, it also broke four teeth off of the cam timing chain sprocket. That explains the p0016 code. Thank God the chain did not let loose. We have something to fix. Now we are trying to remove the Crank timing sprocket, it appears to be pressed on. We have to go get a puller for it. Thanks for assisting me on isolating the issue. My 18 yr son, a car officianado who owns a 2005 GTO enjoys this stuff.

anytime

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer