BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

98 s10 lost fire for the third time seems to keep blowing

Customer Question

98 s10 lost fire for the third time seems to keep blowing the ing module have had problems with the dist cap causing a no ire problem no play the dist shaft
JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am a fleet mechanic changed the module for the third time thy last about 2 months
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is a vortec 4,3 damn good motor
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: it has a little over 100k have installed a 6 spr trans from a camaro with a lighten fly wheel this thing rocks when it runs
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the truck keeps blowing modules start by replacing the wiring that comes from the module. The wiring begins to have high internal resistance which causes the module to overheat. I would do this first as the only other common issue is the distributor itself. When it begins to fail it causes the module to fail. Also, make sure that you use the dielectric grease on the back side of the module which is what cools it. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.