sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2002 Chevrolet avalanche 1500. My 4x4 isn't working. If I

Customer Question

2002 Chevrolet avalanche 1500. My 4x4 isn't working. If I push the button to 4hi i can hear the encoder motor moving in the light stays on for 4hi. My front axle inst locking in. After looking everything over I found corrosion in the 6 pin connector on the encoder motor. My question is whats the path of communication for this system so I know where to start.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 23 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for using the site. i can pull a print for you so you can track it down.

you can start with this

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thats not helping me. I dont understand how to read those.

then i dont know how else to help you. if you cant read a schematic, its going to be hard to help. i will opt out and let someone else give it a shot. good luck.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
just looking for an explanation of whats being powered up and when.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you found corrosion on a terminal then that's the first thing that needs to be addressed. IF the corrosion can't be removed with contact cleaner and light scraping then the affected terminal will need to be replaced. If it's on a connector then the connector will need to be replaced, if it's on the transfer case motor itself then that would require replacement of the motor. The corrosion may be affecting both the male and female terminals so both sides may need to be replaced.