Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Need to know if I can use a 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotech block

Customer Question

need to know if I can use a 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotech long block in a 2006 cobalt 2.2 ecotech, low HP engines, and if not, why? girlfried ran it low on oil and spun #3 rod bearing, I polished it and miked @.020 under, it's smoother than the 3 that are ok...lol, I can't afford to screw up by buying useless parts, the other option stinks, I can r&i the crankshaft ...... can't find info ..... 1. crank trigger? .... I'd say tone ring 2. egr? I work on diesel so
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 1006 Satisfied CustomersPearl Wilson, mechanic's Assistant
Welcome! What's going on with your car?
You
JA: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the rod bearing spun #3, just need to know if a 03 2.2 long block is the same as a 06 2.2 long block? read online about a change in the crank trigger being different and something about egr/non egr
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nevermind......the difference is in the stator, 2000-05 has notches cut into the crank, 2006-07 also has them cut into crank but the cuts are different and 2008-on has a bolt on ring, all this makes a difference to the computer, for example my old atari compared to a playstation 4, 5,6 whatever the kids play. Have a nice day
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Glad you found the answer you needed.

Do you have another question I can help with since you have already paid to receive an answer?