GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

At time wont start, a/c radio will come on have to try about

Customer Question

at time wont start , a/c radio will come on have to try about 7 times before it will start.the security light will come on. 2004 impala, it just a regular key, with a remote.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: just stays on, don't know how to reset the security system
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my daughter is taking it to the shop tomorrow, but need a idea so to know there not just going to try all kinds of things
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: about 3 weeks ago,daughter had remote in here pocket , that's when the problem started. she kept mashing the buttons on key fob and then it started
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the battery in remote is 12 yr.old, would that have anything to do with the security and not starting
Expert:  david craig replied 19 days ago.

Hi Im David, the remotes battery is certainly due to be replaced thats for sure. if the vehicle isnt starting at the present moment try this . turn key to the run position. security light will flash. let it flash until it goes on steady. approximately 10 minutes. turn key off then back to run. let security light flash until on steady. turn key off they back to run. let light flash until on steady. turn key off then start the car.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this resets where then I should no longer have a problem?

it resets the immobilizer if your vehicle isnt starting. it wont keep it from happening again if the immobilizer or transponder are faulty

Expert:  david craig replied 18 days ago.

do you still need assistance?