Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with a 5.7 motor. I recently had

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with a 5.7 motor. I recently had a problem where i changed the Instrument cluster because my gauges topped working in my truck. From what I read this was a common problem so I just went and ordered a new cluster.I also changed my body control module too. (I was told that this was a component that can cause that instrument cluster to stop working)OEM remanded parts from RockAuto where installed and i still had non working instrument cluster (but the truck runs great, just no working gauges)So I brought my truck to the dealer to get the new components reprogrammed (advised by my mechanic) Now the tech guy at my GM dealer cant get the computer to except the reprogramming. Now the original trucks anti theft codes have been erased. Now not only do I have instrument cluster not working, now the truck want start and the dealer is giving up on me.Not till after all of this I found out that there are three instrument cluster options for my year make and model. Could having the wrong instrument cluster in the truck be be causing the dealer to not be able to program the truck?Is there a way i can bypass this anti theft disabling my truck from starting at this point? Or any suggestions on getting my work truck back on the road?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Actually no, you can swap these clusters out and even not have them installed and the truck will still run, you can install wrong one and it will still work in terms of all gauges and most lights, but there is cluster programming, but programming it does not effect it.

BCM - body control module does in deed require programming to the vehicle.

I suggest disconnecting the battery and reconnect which will sometimes wake up the cluster, try reusing your old bcm for now to test as it should not have been effected and still has the programming. If however the tech is saying that your computer also will not accept programming I would need more info such as it will not communicate or communicates fine just cannot program which may indicate a bad ecm - computer..... this all depends on what "computer" is being referred to.

And yes, these clusters are a very common problem, I have had tons repaired or replaced that I have worked on, even my own 2004 escalade right now has the same problem where I need to repair the cluster.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok, talked to my mechanic and trying to relay all info little more clearlyFrom the bringing: First I started by replacing the body control medial (truck still ran after). I then brought it to GM, they programmed that body control modal(truck still ran). I then replaced the cluster(truck still ran). GM then programmed the cluster (truck then stopped running). GM can't get the computer to communicate for programming.GM is now planning on replacing the ignition switch. Any advise on the situation?
Expert:  Joe replied 15 days ago.

It sounds like what you are saying is when the diagnostic tool is connected it will not communicate, to diagnose that problem requires a step by step diagnosis. In some cases it is a simple blown fuse or pin in a connector bent, in others they must track down the source of the problem in order to locate what the problem actually is that is preventing communication.

All of the clusters I install I have programmed before I even get them, once I install them there is nothing further needed.

The ignition switch would suggest a lack of power, such as turning the key on is not providing power. It really all depends on what the problem is for instance if missing ground at dlc.

Thanks,

Joe