Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Replaced brake booster on 2003 suburban and now it will not

Customer Question

Replaced brake booster on 2003 suburban and now it will not shift out of park ?
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: no.I also replaced the control module tha attaches to the brake pedal rod
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes myself, replaced the control module
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I replaced the brake booster and it will not shift out of park unless I rmove the control modude from the brake pedal rod
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
sorry its a1997 suburban
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
There are no brake lights and the brake indicater light is is on,on the dash
Expert:  Eric replied 20 days ago.

HI,

I am working on your question and will have the answer to you in a couple of minutes

Expert:  Eric replied 20 days ago.

HI,

Ok, on the brake pedal pushrod that goes from the booster to the brake pedal is the brake light switch. In addition to controlling the brake lights, its signal is used for the shift interlock (see attached)

Running along the length of the top of the switch is a retaining clip that can break easily and cause the switch to slip of the rod somewhat and no allow it to work properly. You need to check that and replace if broken. If, then you need to make sure you have the harness connector securely attached to the switch and no broken wires. Secure as needed and repair any broken wires.

If above ok, then the switch has failed and will need to be replaced. It runs around $15 at any parts store

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 19 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 18 days ago.

At this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  Eric replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Eric replied 9 days ago.