kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I need to change the ignition lock cylinder on my cutlass

I need to change the ignition lock cylinder on my cutlass cierra 1993. The keys were lost and gm made me the key from the VIN and he door works but the ignition won't do I have to replace it.

Did your key have a chip in it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No

And the key the dealer made will not turn the switch correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
correct. I'm assuming someone changed the lock cylinder at some point

Then you have two options, replace the lock cylinder and key, or get a lock smith to come out and cut you a new key that will fit the lock cylinder.

If you need I can walk you through replacing the lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to replace it. I already got a replacement cylinder

Do you have a steering wheel puller?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Does your steering wheel have an air bag in the middle of it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Then the first thing you need to do is remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Then you will need to unplug the yellow sheethed wires with an orange plug under the steering column for the air bags. Then you will need to remove the air bag from the steering column.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok then what

Then you have to remove the center nut that holds the steering wheel to the columns shaft. Once you have the nut off, use a chisel to mark the shaft and the steering wheel so you can make sure to clock the steering wheel correctly when you go to put it back together"most often this has already been done". Then use the puller kit to pull the steering wheel off.. Make sure you have unplugged the horn, and any steering wheel control wires from the steering wheel and remove the wheel. Then you have a retaining clip that holds the clock spring into the column, remove the clip and pull the clock spring up just enough to get it to come over the center shaft so you can move it over out of the way. Then you will need to use the spring compressor to push down the lock ring so you can remove the retaining clip that holds the lock ring in place. Lift the lock ring out and then you can get to the urn signal switch. On the left side there will be a screw that holds the turn signal arm on, remove this screw and the bracket. If the hazard switch is on the lower right side of the column, remove the center screw and the hazard knob. The you can remove the three screws that hold the turn signal switch in. This two can be lifted just enough to clear the center shaft with out unplugging it under the column. Once the turn signal switch is lifted out of the way, you can get to the screw that holds the ignition lock cylinder in. If the two white wires are not broken going to the switch, cut them. This way you can use the wires to pull the new wires down through the column. Then revers the order to put it all back together.