Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

When it's dark out the dash lights for my 2001 silverado

Customer Question

when it's dark out the dash lights for my 2001 silverado don't come on. when it's daylight the work. at night if i click the dome light control 4 times the lights go out but the dashlights work again. click it 4 more times and the headlights come back on and the dash lights go out. there is a chiming sound when the fourth click is done..each time.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: how can it be a fuse when they work?
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far. it's all original. no add ons or changes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here and we can continue from there?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
5.3
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
do you know what the problem is?
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Let me check into this really quick.I have an idea of the fault but want to make sure.I will post back here shortly.

Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

First off.Does this affect the radio dash lights and all other components that usually light up with the dash lights?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
no. the transmission indicator is on and the hi-lo beam indicator is on.
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

O.k.,but does this affect all back lighting like the back lighting for the radio and heater controls?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i cover the daylight sensor in the dash to make it think that it is dark out and it shuts off the dash lights.
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

O.k.,this does sound like it is working backwards or incorrectly here.This leads me to believe the common ground that these lights use is o.k. since it does work but that the fault is in the BCM (body control module ecu).This sends the voltage signal out to these lights to operate them properly.It sounds like there is an internal electrical fault in the BCM causing this issue here.I have seen several BCM failures in the past before for issues similar to this with the BCM needing replaced.

It will need replaced with a new one as a used one is already programmed to another vehicle and cannot be reprogrammed for your model.Once installed it will need programmed by a GM repair facility that has access to programming like a dealer.The cost can run around $300 to $600 to have replaced and programmed all depending on the shop/dealer costs for the part and labor charges.

I would have the BCM fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the BCM to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will help diagnose to help locate and correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
thanks.... will try this
Expert:  Pete replied 24 days ago.

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete