Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

I have an ipod that will not work properly with my 2016

Customer Question

I have an ipod that will not work properly with my 2016 tahoe. Is there some kind of software that will make it work. I brought 2 more ipods hoping that it would fix the problem. It is hard to believe tnat GM would put in a system and not be able to use an ipod. Dealer told me I would have to buy an apple product in order for me to hear music in place of an ipod.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 20 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer.

Are you plugging your Ipod in using the auxiliary cable? What exactly are your symptoms? Does it have poor playback or not play at all? Do you receive a message stating no auxiliary device?

I'll do some research while waiting for your response.

I know you said Ipod - but there is a known issue with Iphones not connecting because of an aftermarket (non apple) usb cord.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have tried all the usb ports in the vehicle. The system would stall or sometimes not play. At times it wouldgo to black screen and would not play. When i plug it in, it would start to play and stop as soon as it would start.

I know all these questions can be frustrating I just need to get specific information and we can figure this out.

1. Is this an Iphone or Ipod you are trying to connect?

2. Do you have an apple usb cable?

3. If it has bluetooth capability it could be trying to switch between the two. Turn off bluetooth and reconnect the device.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
This an apple ipod and I am using the apple cable that came with it. I have never used the boothtooth on the ipod.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That is never used the bluetooth on it

Okay, could you try using bluetooth only?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I would have to have data service to use my ipod. Tomorrow i am going to try it without the bluetooth being on, if that doesn't work, my only option is to change the system to aftermarket.

I am not familiar with Ipod data usage, but on most devices that will not use data. If all fails I would check with your GM warranty if you are under 36,000 miles it may be covered to have the dealer check radio calibrations or programming.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do that.

You're welcome - I will keep this post open when you have time to check on those things.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
FYI.....should someone have the same question or problem that I inquired about earlier......tell them all they need to do is turn the Apple Play off and their ipod will work without problems. Thanks for your help and should I have another question that needs to be answered, I will be sure to contact you.
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 12 days ago.

Excellent I am glad its working for you now!