Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Experiencing shudder when shifting into overdrive at low to

Customer Question

Experiencing shudder when shifting into overdrive at low to moderate acelerations.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Truck is a 2006 Avalanche. Had filter & trans. oil changed at 185000. Now has 200,000 miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. just started having problem. Had truck serviced at Reputable Goodyear shop.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had engine custom tuned for performance around 10,00 miles back. No problems!
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 22 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually a shudder shifting into overdrive like this here can be caused by a fault with the torque converter lock up solenoid itself or an issue with the torque converter itself needing replaced.The lock up solenoid can operate incorrectly causing a shudder feel in some cases and the torque converter as well may not be locking up correctly which causes a shudder.The shudder is usually a slight slip as it is engaging.In some cases having a complete transmission fluid flush done with a flush machine can correct a fault like this here as it will free up and remove debris from the transmission valve body and torque converter while at the same time installing new fluid.The fluid replacement and filter replacement does help but not as well as having the transmission flushed.

If you have not had the fault codes checked yet to see what codes are set this needs done as well.In some cases one or more codes will set that will help diagnosed and pinpoint this cause as well.But one of these here is most commonly the cause needing tested further which can involve a transmission fluid pressure test gauge.

The flush may be something you might have done to see if it resolves the fault here.This requires a transmission flush machine.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete